This Casablanca chicken is one of my favorite dishes from a local family-owned Mediterranean restaurant in Minnesota. Ansari’s Mediterranean Restaurant is small, cozy and offers delicious dishes from all over the Mediterranean. This chicken dish is specially made for garlic lovers like myself. It is packed with flavor and very simple to make. Now, I am not sure what cut of the chicken Ansari’s chooses for this dish. But, I will be using chicken thighs.
Of course, you can use chicken breasts if you like. But, I am using chicken thighs because it packs a lot of flavor. I’ve always been a fan of chicken thighs over breasts. Because thighs are the “darker meat” compared to breasts, so, they are less expensive. However, they are more tender and packed with rich flavor.
Now, I know this dish looks fancy, but I promise it comes together in under 30 minutes. The key is the delicious rub we are going to use for the chicken. It’s all about developing that rich garlic flavor. I will be using one of my favorite seasoning blends from Primal Palate. Their Amoré seasoning blend is packed with rich Italian flavors (yes I know, not Mediterranean flavors at all). But, it contains a rich blend of garlic and dried herbs that are essential for this dish. So, if you haven’t heard of Primal Palate’s spices, honey you need to put your order in immediately!
CASABLANCA CHICKEN W/ CAULIFLOWER RICE
PALEO II WHOLE30
At Ansari’s the Casablanca is usually served with turmeric rice. But, because I want to keep this Whole30 and Paleo, I decided to serve it over cauliflower rice. Because this dish is so packed with flavor, we are going to keep things simple when it comes to the rice. You want the rice to be a blank canvas for the rich flavors of the chicken. So, all we are using to cook up the riced cauliflower is ghee, scallions and salt and pepper. Let’s jump in.
Another great way to serve this Casablanca Chicken is over Sweet Potato Noodles.
Chicken thighs packed with flavors of garlic and herbs.
- 1 lb boneless & skinless free range chicken thighs
- 1 tsp. Primal Palate’s Amore seasoning*
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. crack black pepper
- 2 tbsp. ghee
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 red jalapeño (diced)
- 1/4 cup organic chicken broth
FOR CAULIFLOWER RICE:
- 1 tbsp. ghee or olive oil
- 2 12- ounce packages of frozen riced cauliflower
- 2 scallions (finely chopped)
- salt and pepper
- To begin, pat chicken thighs dry and cut them into cubes. Transfer the chicken to a mixing bowl, add Primal Palate’s Amore seasoning, garlic, turmeric, paprika, parsley, sea salt and black pepper and toss to combine. Now, heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a deep skillet over high heat. Add chicken and lower the heat to medium-high. Sear the chicken while continuously stirring for about 5-7 minutes or until the chicken starts to develop some color. Now, add onions and jalapeño pepper, stir and sauté for a few minutes until onions are tender (about 7 minutes). Then add chicken broth to deglaze the pan. Lower the heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Then taste and season with more salt if necessary.
- In a separate non-stick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of ghee over medium-high heat and add riced cauliflower. Sauté cauliflower (continuously stirring) for 5-7 minutes until cauliflower is tender. Then, stir in scallions and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Chicken family style atop of cauliflower rice.
If you do not have Amore seasoning or something close to it, you can use this mixture:
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/8 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes