I can’t believe it’s almost Easter Sunday! As crazy as that is, I am excited to spend some time with my family. Whether you are having a huge brunch, or just enjoying a quiet day, this Potato Rosti definitely deserves a place at the table. They are packed with flavor and the whole family will love them.
Growing up, Easter Sunday was always a special time in our home. Like most holidays in our home, my grandmother and I would wake up super early and start cooking. After church, we would put the finishing touches on every dish. Then it was time to enjoy family time. That’s one thing I love about any holiday. It gives us the time to relax and spend time with the people we love.
For me, that always meant spending quality time with my grandmother in the kitchen. Man, I loved being her sous chef. It was always amazing watching her move around the kitchen and come up with amazing recipes. I always wanted to be just like her. Even now in my own kitchen, I find myself naturally mimicking the way she cooks. That’s why days like Easter Sunday are so special. It gives us the time to connect with our loved ones in ways we wouldn’t normally connect with them. I cherish every moment I spent in the kitchen with my grandmother. Even the moments when she yelled or cussed at us (it’s just routine in our African homes). Those moments bring me such joy now that I don’t get to see her every day. But, remembering those moments also get me excited to see and talk to her. I hope one of my recipes helps you connect with those you love this Easter Sunday.
GARLIC & PARMESAN POTATO ROSTI
Now let’s talk about this potato rosti. I know it sounds super fancy and elegant, right? But potato Rosti is just hashbrowns that have been upgraded a bit in the flavor department. I added Parmesan cheese to my recipe because it enhances the flavor. However, if you follow a Paleo lifestyle or you are doing a Whole30 you can omit the cheese. If you follow a Vegan lifestyle, I would recommend adding about 1 to 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast to the potato mixture in place of the Parmesan cheese. Or, you could try incorporating some vegan cheese into the potato mixture.
GARLIC & PARMESAN POTATO ROSTI
- 4 medium potatoes peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 6 tbsp. grass-fed ghee
- 1/2 an avocado
- 1/2 cup avocado oil mayo
- 1 tsp. yellow mustard
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. freshly chopped chives
- To start, use the big holes of a cheese grater to grate each potato and transfer the grated potatoes to a mixing bowl. Now add the egg, coconut flour, salt, pepper, garlic, and parmesan cheese to the potatoes and stir to combine.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee in a 12-inch skillet. Add 5 heaping tablespoonfuls of the potato mixture to the pan and flatten them with a fork. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and crispy. Transfer them to paper towels to drain out the extra fat. Repeat those steps with the remaining ghee and potato mixture (makes about 14-16 potato rostis).
- While the potato rosti cools, mash the avocado in a small mixing bowl and stir in mayo, mustard and garlic powder until well combined. Finish with fresh chives and serve with slightly cooled potato rosti.