A flavorful one-pan dish the whole family will love. A simple and delicious harissa sauce mixture seasons the chicken and vegetables, then everything is roasted to perfection for an easy no-mess dinner.
- 1/2 cup spicy red harissa sauce – use the mild flavor if you don’t like spicy or are cooking for children
- 2 garlic cloves – finely minced or pressed using a garlic press
- 2 tsp. Coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp. Smoked paprika
- 1 large onion – cubed
- 2 large russet potatoes or sweet potatoes – cut into chunks
- 6 ounces Brussels sprouts – cleaned and cut in half
- salt and pepper
- Avocado oil
- 1.5 lbs. bone-in (skin on chicken thighs – with fat trimmed (4-5 chicken thighs))
- lemon slices + more to serve
- Parsley or cilantro to garnish
- To begin, preheat your oven to 425˚F.
- Now, mix together all the ingredients needed for the harissa sauce in a small bowl and set it aside.
- Add the onions, potatoes and Brussels sprouts to a large cast iron pan or a large baking sheet. Drizzle on a couple tablespoons of avocado oil and add half of the harissa sauce mixture onto the vegetables. Toss the vegetables to make sure they are well coated with the sauce and season the vegetables with a couple pinches of salt and pepper.
- If you are using russet potatoes, transfer the pan into the oven and roast the potatoes, onions and Brussels sprouts for 15 minutes to get the cooking process started. But, if you are issuing sweet potatoes, simply drizzle the potatoes, onions and Brussels sprouts with avocado, add half of the harissa sauce mixture and season them with salt and pepper and then move on to the next steps. The sweet potatoes don’t need a head start in the cooking process.
- Lower the oven temperature to 415˚F.
- Now, pat the chicken thighs dry and make two small cuts through the skin of the chicken thighs. Rub the chicken with the remaining harissa sauce mixture (making sure the thighs are well coated with the sauce) and transfer the chicken to the pan with the vegetables. Now drizzle a few tablespoons of avocado oil over the chicken and season them with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Nestle a few pieces of lemon between the chicken and vegetables and transfer the pan to the oven. Cook the chicken and vegetables for 40-45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and golden brown (internal temperature should be between 165˚F – 170˚F) and the vegetables are tender.
- Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro or parsley and lemon wedges.