Happy Saturday guys! We are in the kitchen today roasting veggies and I want to share how I achieve perfectly roasted squash. I feel like pattypan squash is not as widely popular as a zucchini, but they pretty much taste the same. That very rustic and buttery flavor is perfect for roasting. That is precisely why I am using ghee to coat the squash before roasting. The ghee is only going to enhance the buttery flavor of the squash.
Pattypan squash can be cooked in a variety of different ways. From grilling to pan searing to frying and oven roasting. This beautiful squash can become the perfect addition to your meal-prep menu.
- Don’t peel the squash. When it comes to roasting most varieties of squash, I would recommend you don’t peel them. The skins of pattypan, zucchini, and yellow squash are edible. When grilling, roasting or pan-searing those, it’s a great idea to leave the skin on. It holds the squash together and locks in flavor.
- When it comes to cooking pattypan squash, I like to keep the flavors very simple but bold. So when roasting, I pair them with ghee and herbs. Ghee brings out the buttery flavor of the squash and adding herbs brings out the earthy rustic flavors.
- Lastly, the squash doesn’t need a long cooking time. I like roasting them at a high temperature for a shorter period of time. This way, the squash cooks through but also gets a chance to develop a rich golden brown color.
Roasted Pattypan Squash
WHOLE30 II VEGAN II PALEO
Try serving with our Grilled Salmon in a Garlic Butter Sauce.Print
Roasted squash perfect for meal-prep, brunch or dinner.
- 1.5 lbs. baby Pattypan squash
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp. melted ghee
- 1 tsp. herbs de Provence
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Start by wiping each squash with a damp paper towel or clean cloth. Then trim away any imperfections and cut in half. Transfer squash to a large baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Now, in a small bowl, mix together melted ghee, herbs de Provence, turmeric and garlic powder. Pour mixture over squash and toss to make sure squash is well coated.
- Spread squash in one layer and roast for 20-25 minutes (turning once) or until squash is tender and a little golden brown.*
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice along with grilled chicken, fish or steak.
*If you are like me and like a little more char on the squash, you can roast them up to 30 minutes.