I think it’s time I really start pulling out all the fall and cold weather recipes.
This weekend for me was all about self-care. I had been feeling a bit down. At one point all I wanted to do was curl up with a bucket of ice cream and never get up. However, I am not going to take steps backward (although there I nothing wrong with a little ice cream).
So, I got up and went to yoga classes and took the rest of the weekend to relax and pamper myself. I did everything from an at-home facial, to a mani-pedi.
I use to do my own mani-pedis for a long time. But, now, I really enjoy going in and having my manicurist do her thang! If you don’t have a manicurist in your life, GURL, you need to find one ASAP! You basically have a built-in therapist. I adore the friendship I’ve built with my girls.
After my day of pampering, I made this recipe on the fly and it was so delish, I decided I had to share it with you. It is a very warm and cozy dish but also very light and pamper day worthy.
After butterflying the chicken, I then stuffed them with mushrooms and kale. The root vegetables I used were carrots and purple onions. If you would like a heartier meal, I would suggest adding some potatoes or squash with the other vegetables. These would pair perfectly with my Lemon garlic mini Hasselback sweet potatoes.
Stuffed Chicken Breasts w/ Root Vegetables
Whole30 and Paleo friendly and hella DELICIOUS (I felt the need to use all caps). Someone actually sent me a direct message on social media saying they hate it when I used all caps. So I felt the need to do it as much as possible (I’m so mature right)?
Any-who, without further ado, let’s dive into this recipe!
Chicken breasts stuffed with mushrooms and kale then roasted with root vegetables.
- 3 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped kale leaves
- 1 tbsp. Coconut aminos
- 2 chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Avocado oil
- 2 carrots (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 purple onion (cubed)
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp. Coconut flour
- 1 cup bone or chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Chili pepper paste
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Now, heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet.
- Add mushrooms, one minced garlic, and kale and sauté until mushroom is tender. Stir in coconut aminos and set aside.
- Butterfly both chicken breasts by carefully slicing into one side of the breast (do not slice through the other side).
- Now open the breasts so they resemble a butterfly and season with taco seasoning.
- So, for the fun part, cover each breast with cling wrap and pummel with a rolling pin for even thickness.
- Then, stuff each breast with the mushroom and kale mixture. Roll up the chicken breast and secure them with toothpicks.
- In the same skillet, we used for the mushrooms, heat the avocado oil on high heat and sear chicken on all sides (~3 minutes per side).
- Toss onions, two whole garlic cloves, and carrots with remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, a few pinches of salt and paprika.
- Now, add vegetables to the skillet, with the chicken.
- Transfer to the oven and roast for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through* and carrots are tender.
- Remove chicken from skillet (discard garlic cloves) and tent with foil.
- Return skillet to heat, stir in coconut flour and sauté for about a minute.
- Now stir in broth and simmer until sauce thickens. Stir in pepper paste, taste and season with salt if necessary.
- Return chicken to skillet, garnish with cilantro and simmer for a couple minutes.
- Serve immediately with potatoes, or a salad.
*Temp 165-170 degrees F.