I am truly so happy so many people are considering eating more vegan/vegetarian meals. A lot of people assume it’s just a phase or a trend everyone wants to be a part of. For me, eating more vegan meals has allowed me to approach “health” in a different way.
Now, I honestly don’t think I will ever be 100% vegan. I do enjoy animal protein of some form once or twice a week. I choose to enjoy more vegan meals the majority of the time because it works for me and my body. When I do choose to eat animal protein, I always buy local, grass-fed or organic.
I truly believe we have to start thinking of health on a human level and not always on an individual level. We should strive to make the world a healthier place. By purchasing/eating more vegetables and grass-fed/organic proteins from local farmers, we are supporting our local businesses and communities. We are choosing to develop HUMAN BEINGS. Whichever lifestyle practices work for you, I hope we all simply choose better health practices that better humans as a whole.
Now, We all know fried rice is LIFE. This recipe is simple, clean, vegan, gluten-free, delicious is ready within half an hour. Because everyone’s reasoning for not eating vegan is because they are worried about protein, I chose a grain that is protein rich and packed with fiber.
Quinoa has truly become one of my favorite grains. A lot of people prefer to enjoy is cold (as a salad). But, I prefer it as part of a hot meal. Make this today and I guarantee this will be your new easy go-to weeknight dinner the whole family can enjoy.
Quinoa Fried Rice
VEGAN II GLUTEN-FREE
Take quinoa to a new level with great flavors and fresh vegetables. Serve it as a side dish or a completely vegan meal.
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 Zucchini (diced)
- 1 Red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 an onion (diced)
- 1 garlic (finely minced)
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- Add water, oil, and salt to a small saucepan.
- Now, stir in quinoa and bring to a boil.
- Then, cover pan and simmer on medium-low heat for 15 minutes or until quinoa is fork tender.
- While quinoa cooks, heat coconut oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Now, add in zucchini, bell and jalapeño peppers, onion, garlic, and sauté on medium high heat until vegetables are tender (approx. 5 minutes)
- Season vegetables with salt and coconut aminos.
- Now, stir in cooked quinoa, pepper flakes, and curry powder.
- Continue to cook on high heat (stirring frequently) until all flavors are well combined and quinoa starts to form a crust (approx. 5 minutes).
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Last but not least, remove quinoa from heat and stir in fresh spinach leaves.
Add shredded chicken, pork or roasted fish to complete this meal if you are not on a plant based diet.