Fall is almost here Y’all! But I couldn’t help myself. I bought a crap ton of kale at the grocery store because it was on sale. So, why not share my favorite kale salad I’ve been loving with all of you.
For me, hearty salads are such a fun way to get a quick lunch or dinner on the table. It is fun, colorful, flavorful, nutrient dense, and not to mention, hella easy!
The base of this salad is an awesome blank canvas. The kale and cabbage are hearty enough to stand up to all the other ingredients. This is definitely an example of a clean-out-your-fridge type of recipe. I really enjoy making this salad at the end of the week when I have bits and pieces of a lot of leftover fruits and vegetables from the week. This is a great way to utilize all those veggies and bring them back to life.
Because you most likely won’t have the same types of vegetables on hand every week, it becomes a fun process. This is exactly why I love the kitchen. Approach it as a way to challenge yourself, and create something new. You start to enjoy the process of preparing a healthy meal for you and your family and you stop thinking of it as a boring chore.
With all my recipes, I like to encourage you to change it up. Do not be afraid to Add different ingredients, and make it your own. For this salad, I will be utilizing the same spicy mustard dressing I made to accompany my Grilled Corn Salad.
If you want to switch it up, here are a few of my favorite dressing combinations.
A Simple Vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons of olive/avocado oil. 1 tablespoon lemon juice. A pinch of salt. Fresh garlic or garlic powder. 1 teaspoon of raw honey. And lastly, some fresh herbs of your choice.
Zesty Kale Salad
So whether you decide to make your own dressing or not, this recipe will for sure become a staple for you. So make it now and let me know what you think!Print
Hearty kale and cabbage tossed with a zesty dijon mustard dressing.
- 2 cups fresh kale leaves (chopped)
- 1 small zucchini (diced)
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ Cup fresh mozzarella pearls
- 4 slices no salt added bacon
- 1 avocado (diced)
- First you want to start by prepping your vegetables and creating your “Mise en Place” (putting everything in its place).
- After all your vegetables are chopped and ready, now you want to crisp up your bacon.
- Crisp the bacon in a skillet. Save two tablespoons of the rendered fat and discard the rest.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients in a bowl until it reaches a creamy consistency or until it is well combined.
- Transfer all the vegetables, avocado, mozzarella cheese and bacon to a large salad bowl.
- Pour dressing unto the salad and toss, making sure all the vegetables are well coated.
- Serve by itself or along side your choice of protein.
Salad will last in the fridge (without the avocado) for 1-2 days.
After a day in the fridge, the flavors will only get better.
PIN IT NOW AND SHARE WITH YOUR BFFS.