When I think of the perfect date night at home, this coconut mushroom chicken is definitely on the menu. I actually had a date this past weekend. We indulged in a salmon and orzo dish with a creamy buttermilk sauce. Of course, I had to come home and make a rendition of that meal.
I do like to indulge in a little dairy every now and again. For me, it’s all about balance. When I see something on a menu that inspires me. I will either ask to adjust the ingredients to my healthy lifestyle or I will indulge in those flavors and then replicate them in my own recipe.
You know I’m not going to glaze over the fact that I had a wonderful date (flipping my hair). I haven’t been on a date in over a year and a half (yes don’t judge me). It was definitely super nice to get dolled up and have a great night with someone other than my girlfriends, siblings or my niece.
I’m sure when you think of a creamy chicken recipe, you think of the addition of heavy cream or Parmesan cheese. But you don’t need that here girl. Our creamy chicken recipe is whole30 friendly, paleo, gluten-free and hella easy to put together. The addition of organic coconut milk, fresh herbs, and lemon juice are the secrets to bringing this dish together.
So, whether you are putting together a romantic date night in, or having a fun girls night. This creamy coconut mushroom chicken is the perfect way to impress your loved ones. You can serve this dish with vegetable noodles or my Easy Vegan Quinoa Fried Rice
CREAMY COCONUT MUSHROOM CHICKEN
WHOLE30 II PALEO II GLUTEN-FREE
- 1.5 lbs. bone-in, skin on organic free-range chicken thighs(~5 or 6 thighs)
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- 3 tbsp. Avocado oil
- 3.5 Ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp. Coconut flour
- ½ Cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp fresh sage leaves
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- Chopped parsley and fresh lemon juice to serve
- To start, slice the mushrooms, mince the garlic and set them aside.
- Now, pat the chicken dry with a clean paper towel.
- season them with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Heat 2 tbsp of avocado oil in a large skillet and sear chicken thighs for ~7-10 minutes on both sides or until the chicken is cooked through (instant thermometer should read between 162˚F- 170˚F).
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet (with the drippings from the chicken), add the last tbsp of avocado oil.
- Then, add the mushrooms and garlic and sauté until the mushrooms are tender.
- Now, add coconut flour and cook for a couple minutes.
- Then, add the chicken broth to deglaze the pan.
- Stir in the coconut milk and sage leaves and bring to a simmer.
- Now, taste and season with more salt if necessary.
- Simmer sauce for a few minutes, stirring frequently until it thickens (approx. 5-7 minutes).
- To finish, nestle chicken into the sauce, add fresh parsley and continue to simmer on low for a few minutes until all the flavors marry.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon juice and enjoy.