Now, you know I am the chick who will come up with one hundred different ways to enjoy the classic “salad”. And, I am totally ok with that fact. I truly enjoy a good salad at the end of a long day along with a glass of wine. The one thing about salads is that most people think of them as a starter, not an entreé. But, that is the beauty of the salad. It is ok to think beyond the lettuce or greens.
The other elements of a good salad are what can make it a great meal. Think about adding heartier vegetables, fruits, and seeds. This way, you are creating a well-balanced meal, it’s not just an appetizer. I personally am not a fan of the wimpy looking salads you usually get as “starters” at almost every restaurant. But, we won’t even get into that right now.
Of course, the vinaigrette on this Green Salad is a pretty big deal. This orange vinaigrette is pretty special. I absolutely love how light it is, but also how incredibly delicious and versatile is it. This vinaigrette is not only great for a salad, it would work very well as a marinade.
GREEN SALAD WITH TURMERIC SPICED CHICKEN BREASTS
PALEO II GLUTEN-FREE II LOW-CARB
Another thing I think is super important in creating this spectacular Green Salad is to season every layer. For example, toss the greens or the “base” of the salad with some of the vinaigrette before adding the other ingredients. Now, that may be something so simple, but trust me it makes a difference. You don’t want to take a bite of a salad and only taste a tomato or a piece of chicken. Every aspect of the salad being seasoned or “spiced” is so special. It’s not only a party in your mouth, it’s a way to actually enjoy a plate of salad instead of just “getting through it”.
PIN THIS GREEN SALAD FOR LATER:Print
Chicken breasts spiced with a turmeric-infused rub and served with a mixture of green vegetables.
TURMERIC SPICE MIX:
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. Korean pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. fresh orange juice
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 garlic clove (finely minced)
- 1 tbsp. fresh dill weed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. raw honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 4- ounce chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp. grass-fed ghee
- 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 baby cucumbers (sliced)
- 1 green apple (sliced)
- 2 radishes-sliced (optional)
- Begin by stirring together all the ingredients for the spice mixture and set it aside. Now, place the chicken breasts in a ziplock bag, squeeze out all the air, close and use a meat mallet to flatten the chicken until its even. Remove the chicken breasts from the bag and sprinkle with spice mixture (a little of the spice mixture may be leftover). Now, heat the ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the chicken breast for 5-7 minutes on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Now, add all the ingredients for the dressing to a mason jar and shake to combine. Add kale and romaine to a mixing bowl and toss with a couple tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Transfer the greens to a serving dish, add cucumber, apple, radishes and sliced chicken breasts. Serve with remaining vinaigrette and enjoy.