Brussels sprouts paired with dried fruits, nuts and seeds and tossed in a sweet, tangy and salty mustard dressing.
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 4 slices no-sugar-added bacon
- 1 small shallot (finely minced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp. Primal Kitchen Foods spicy brown mustard
- 1/4 cup Primal Kitchen Foods honey mustard dressing
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 a lemon (juiced)
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup pure grade A maple syrup
- 1/4 cup bacon grease
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped cilantro leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts (washed, trimmed and leaves separated*)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup sliced/shaved raw almonds
- To begin, add the pumpkin seeds to a skillet over medium-high heat and toast for a few minutes. Remove the pumpkin seeds and set them aside. Now, add the bacon to the same pan and cook until crisp. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels and reserve the bacon grease (should be about a 1/4 of a cup).
- Make the dressing by adding all of the necessary ingredients to a mason jar (bacon grease included) and shaking the jar until the ingredients are well combined. Set the dressing aside and move on to the next step.
- Add the brussels sprouts to a large mixing bowl and add the toasted pumpkin seeds, cranberries, hemp seeds, and almonds to the bowl. Pour half the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Add the bacon on top of the salad and serve with the rest of the dressing on the side.
- Any leftovers will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
*You can also use shaved brussels sprouts or just thinly slice your brussels sprouts if you don’t want to go through separating the leaves.