The perfect tender and juicy carnitas for any dish. Pressure cooked with rich spices and herbs.
- 2 dried chipotle chili peppers
- 1 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1.5 lbs heritage breed boneless pork shoulder
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp grass-fed ghee
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- To begin, soak the chili peppers in ~ 1 cup hot water and set aside for about 15 mins. Then, chop onions and garlic and add them to a food processor with chili peppers. Pulse until finely chopped and set aside.
- Now, cut pork shoulder into 1 1/2 to 2-inch cubes. Season pork with a generous amount of salt and pepper. On the Instant Pot, select “Sauté” and use the adjust button to select “normal”. Wait for the Instant Pot to read “HOT” and add ghee to the pot. Sear pork pieces for ~5 minutes on each side until they have formed a brown crust (sear in two batches if necessary depending on the size of your Instant Pot).
- Now, turn off the Instant Pot and pour the processed onions, garlic and chili peppers over the seared pork and stir to combine. Season with salt and ground cumin and stir. Attach the lid onto the Instant Pot, select “Stew/Meat”, and use the +/- button to adjust the time to 15 mins.
- When the cook time is up, allow the steam to release naturally for 10 mins. Then, open the valve to release the rest of the steam. Carefully remove the lid and use two forks to gently shred the pork. Taste and season with more salt if necessary.
- Set the oven to broil “HI”. Now, transfer the shredded pork to a large baking sheet and place under the broiler for 7-10 minutes (turning once). Remove the pork from the oven and serve inside tacos, burritos, enchiladas or with prepped vegetables.
To store, transfer any leftover pork to a glass container with a tight lid. Store in the fridge for up to a week. Or, store any extras in freezer bags and freeze for easy and convenient meals.