I’ve been getting so many requests to create more Instant Pot recipes since we published the Instant Pot Taco Meat post. Of course, I have been working on more recipes for all of you Instant Pot lovers. This one is a great place to start because it is fool-proof. Penne pasta paired with a simple, yet delicious mushroom sauce.
So many of us shy away from eating/creating meals that are completely vegan because we think they lack flavor. But, I very much enjoy creating vegan meals and recipes. Personally, I have been eating completely vegan twice a week now. I am not doing for a political or highly moral reason. I continue to choose more vegan meals because of the way doing so makes me feel. However, it also challenges me in the kitchen. I am expanding my palate and trying new ingredients, spices and flavors.
That is also what is so appealing about living a healthier life. I am able to get out of my comfort zone and be forced to expand and experience new ways of preparing different recipes. By allowing yourself to experience more in the kitchen, you begin to enjoy the cooking process. You are not just cooking as a chore. You are cooking with a purpose (I really think that should be our motto.
INSTANT POT PENNE IN CREAMY MUSHROOM SAUCE
VEGAN II GLUTEN-FREE
Today, I will be using my favorite pasta as of late; The Banza Chickpea pasta. Pasta that satisfies all of your pasta cravings, but it is made from chickpeas. With twice the amount of protein and fiber but half the carbs as regular pasta, The Banza pasta is the pasta that loves you back. I urge you to give it a try and I promise you won’t be disappointed.
Now, you can certainly add your choice of meat if you like. For example, stir in pieces of seared or grilled chicken breasts when the pasta is done. Or, add raw shrimp to the instant pot after adding the coconut milk and pasta and follow the rest of the instructions to finish the recipe.Print
Chickpea penne pasta cooked in the instant pot with onions, peppers, mushrooms and coconut milk.
- 2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 bell pepper (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 2 cups sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp. coriander
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. Korean pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 13.5– ounce can organic coconut milk
- 8– ounce chickpea penne (brown rice pasta would also work well)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- To begin, set your instant pot to “sauté” and press the “adjust” button to set the temperature to “normal” (medium-high heat). Wait for the instant pot to read “HOT” then add the avocado oil, bell pepper, and onion and sauté for about 3 minutes (season with a little salt and pepper). Then, stir in the garlic and mushrooms and sauté for about a minute. Now, stir in coriander, chili powder, pepper flakes, paprika and nutmeg and continue to sauté for another minute. Then, add vegetable broth and stir to deglaze the bottom of the instant pot. To finish, stir in coconut milk, dry uncooked pasta, and season with the 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cover the instant pot and select the “manual” setting. Press the – button to adjust the cook time to 6 minutes.
- When the time is up, let sit for 5 minutes (which is known as a natural release). Then, manually release the rest of the steam by opening the valve on the lid of the instant pot. Now, remove the lid, stir and taste. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with radish micros greens and raw hemp seeds.