So a couple weeks ago I had some friends over for dinner and had coleslaw on the menu. Now, I am not a fan of coleslaw. Everything about it just isn’t my thing. But I made my grandma’s recipe, which everyone enjoyed except for one of my girlfriends who doesn’t like mayo. I felt so terrible because you want everyone to enjoy each and every dish on the menu. Needless to say, this is when I decided to work on a versatile mayo-free dressing. Thus birthing my version of Mayo-Free Avocado Dressing.
It took me a couple tries (that’s a lot of avocados Y’all) to get a perfect consistency. You don’t want it to be too thick or too thin. You want it to be just thick and creamy enough to transform a dish. It is the perfect finish to many dishes from salads to tacos and grilled chicken or steak. This mayo-free avocado dressing is fresh, creamy and packed with flavor.
One thing I really love about homemade dressings is you know what is in them! There are a lot of clean and delicious dressings and marinades on the market these days. But, nothing beats homemade dressing. It’s always great to try different flavors and textures. Not to mention, nutrition-wise, avocados are poppin! They are packed with great fats, fiber, vitamins, and protein. So I mean, you can’t go wrong making your family some mayo-free avocado dressing tonight.
The mayo-free dressing you need in your life!
Now I know an avocado dressing may not seem very meal-prep friendly. But, with proper storage, it will last in the fridge for 2-3 days. If you can, I suggest purchasing the guaclock container. It is a great way to store avocado dressings, guacamole and even halved avocados. Of course, if you do not want to purchase yet another kitchen gadget, you can still easily store your avocado dressing. The best way to do this, in my opinion, is to use a small glass bowl or mason jar. Transfer the leftover dressing into the container and squeeze some lemon or lime juice on top. Close the lid tightly and store in the fridge for 2-3 days.Print
Creamy and delicious. This is the perfect guilt-free dressing for any salad. Yet, it’s tasty and rich enough to impress all the picky eaters at the table.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 a lime – juiced
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped dill weed
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp. avocado or olive oil
- 1/3 cup filtered water
- To begin, remove the flesh from the avocados, peel the garlic, juice the lime and chop the dill weed. Add all the ingredients (except the water) into a high-speed blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Then, while the blender is still running, add the water a little at a time and continue to blend until the dressing is creamy and has reached your desired consistency. You can add more or less water depending on how thick you want the dressing to be.
- Serve over your favorite salad.