I think it’s time I really start pulling out all the fall and cold weather recipes.
This weekend for me was all about self-care. I had been feeling a bit down. At one point all I wanted to do was curl up with a bucket of ice cream and never get up. However, I am not going to take steps backward (although there I nothing wrong with a little ice cream).
So, I got up and went to yoga classes and took the rest of the weekend to relax and pamper myself. I did everything from an at-home facial, to a mani-pedi.
I use to do my own mani-pedis for a long time. But, now, I really enjoy going in and having my manicurist do her thang! If you don’t have a manicurist in your life, GURL, you need to find one ASAP! You basically have a built-in therapist. I adore the friendship I’ve built with my girls.
After my day of pampering, I made this recipe on the fly and it was so delish, I decided I had to share it with you. It is a very warm and cozy dish but also very light and pamper day worthy.
After butterflying the chicken, I then stuffed them with mushrooms and kale. The root vegetables I used were carrots and purple onions. If you would like a heartier meal, I would suggest adding some potatoes or squash with the other vegetables. These would pair perfectly with my Lemon garlic mini Hasselback sweet potatoes.
Whole30 and Paleo friendly and hella DELICIOUS (I felt the need to use all caps). Someone actually sent me a direct message on social media saying they hate it when I used all caps. So I felt the need to do it as much as possible (I’m so mature right)?
Any-who, without further ado, let’s dive into this recipe!
Stuffed Chicken Breasts w/ Root VegetablesPrint
Chicken breasts stuffed with mushrooms and kale then roasted with root vegetables.
- 3 tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup mushrooms (sliced)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped kale leaves
- 1 tbsp. Coconut aminos
- 2 chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Avocado oil
- 2 carrots (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 purple onion (cubed)
- Sea salt
- 1 tbsp. Coconut flour
- 1 cup bone or chicken broth
- 1 tsp. Chili pepper paste
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- First, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Now, heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet.
- Add mushrooms, one minced garlic, and kale and sauté until mushroom is tender. Stir in coconut aminos and set aside.
- Butterfly both chicken breasts by carefully slicing into one side of the breast (do not slice through the other side).
- Now open the breasts so they resemble a butterfly and season with taco seasoning.
- So, for the fun part, cover each breast with cling wrap and pummel with a rolling pin for even thickness.
- Then, stuff each breast with the mushroom and kale mixture. Roll up the chicken breast and secure them with toothpicks.
- In the same skillet, we used for the mushrooms, heat the avocado oil on high heat and sear chicken on all sides (~3 minutes per side).
- Toss onions, two whole garlic cloves, and carrots with remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, a few pinches of salt and paprika.
- Now, add vegetables to the skillet, with the chicken.
- Transfer to the oven and roast for 35-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through* and carrots are tender.
- Remove chicken from skillet (discard garlic cloves) and tent with foil.
- Return skillet to heat, stir in coconut flour and sauté for about a minute.
- Now stir in broth and simmer until sauce thickens. Stir in pepper paste, taste and season with salt if necessary.
- Return chicken to skillet, garnish with cilantro and simmer for a couple minutes.
- Serve immediately with potatoes, or a salad.
*Temp 165-170 degrees F.