My carb cravings have been all over the damn place this week! One way I enjoy satisfying that craving is by incorporating a shitton of veggies into my favorite recipes. When I saw a recipe for lasagna stuffed peppers on BuzzfeedTasty, I had to put my own spin on it, and it is so damn delicious!
Time to Prep:
We start by cutting off the top and deseeding the peppers. Then pop them into the oven to get the cooking process started. While the peppers are in the oven, you want to cook the meat sauce, slice the zucchini and prepare your ricotta mixture.
Now, you are going to stuff the peppers by layering the ingredients like you would a lasagna. The order of your layers is totally up to you. You can achieve two layers of meat sauce, ricotta, and zucchini in each pepper. Then, end with a layer of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. This is the perfect place to get the kids involved in the cooking process! It’s fun and you don’t need to worry about anyone using a knife.
It’s always fun to get the whole family involved. The second time I made this recipe, I was able to get some of my little cousins involved and they loved it! They were so excited to see how it turned out, and what it was going to taste like. So, if you are trying to get your kids/family to eat more veggies, this recipe is definitely a fun start.
Feel free to ask any questions, share with all your lasagna-loving friends who want to cut down on those calories, and as always, have FUN in the kitchen!Print
- 4 large bell peppers, multiple colors
- 1 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1/2 lb. ground beef, pork or bison
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 cup arrabbiata sauce
- 1/2 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (cilantro or parsley work well)
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut off the top of each pepper, remove the seeds, and place them upright in a baking dish.
- Then, transfer them to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Now, stir in ground beef, salt, pepper flakes, chili powder and cook until meat is browned.
- Then, add arrabbiata/marinara sauce and stir to combine.
- Simmer for 5-10 minutes and remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, add ricotta, egg, basil, 1/3 cup parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Now, slice the zucchini into very thin rounds and set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together remaining 2 tablespoons of parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Remove peppers from the oven and drain off any excess water inside the peppers.
- Stuff the peppers by alternating the meat sauce (1-2 tbsp.), zucchini slices (2-3 slices) and ricotta mixture (1-2 tbsp.) in that order.
- After the second and last layer, top off each pepper with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese mixture.
- Return dish to the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Now, turn the oven to broil and continue to bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Rest for a few minutes and serve
PIN THIS RECIPE SO YOU CAN GET TO COOKING LATER